Listen to RWF 13: Bill Pearl – A True Legend
Bill Pearl www.billpearl.com is a true legend in the world of physical culture. With a highly successful competitive career lasting nearly 20 years, he is unquestionably one of the greatest bodybuilders of all time!
He is probably the most traveled Mr. America ever, having gone around the world doing exhibitions and spreading the health and fitness message for nearly four decades!
To his credit he has coached more top level bodybuilders (including 14 Mr. Universe winners, 10 Mr. America’s and one Mr. Olympia) than any other person. He is truly “The Trainer of Champions”.
World class bodybuilder, successful gym owner, author, coach/trainer entrepreneur, husband and father! To say Bill Pearl has done it all is a huge understatement!
Through the efforts of our mutual friend Mr. Olympia, Chris Dickerson, Bill was given the pleasure of speaking with this legend of the iron game. The biggest thing I took away from this conversation was that Bill Pearl is the absolute definition of a gentlemen and a class act!
I hope you enjoy listening as much as I enjoyed chatting with this legend of the fitness world:
- The early years of training
- From Leo Stern to Chris Dickerson
- 1953 was quite a year
- Why he was a success in the gym business
- His competitive career
- Why he never entered the Mr. Olympia
- His Strongman act
- Mail order training courses
- KEYS TO THE INNER UNIVERSE
- Becoming a vegetarian
- The name game
- Women’s’ bodybuilding
- What he does today
Here is a partial list of Bill Pearl’s many accomplishments;
- 1953 A.A.U., Mr. America
- 1953 N.A.B.B.A., Mr. Universe Amateur (London, England)
- 1956 Mr. U.S.A., Professional
- 1956 N.A.B.B.A., Mr. Universe, Professional
- 1961 N.A.B.B.A., Mr. Universe, Professional
- 1967 N.A.B.B.A., Mr. Universe, Professional
- 1971 N.A.B.B.A., Mr. Universe, Professional
- 1974 W.B.B.G., World’s Best-Built Man of the Century (New York, New York)
- 1978 Entered into W.B.B.G., Hall of Fame (New York, New York)
- 1978 Elected the I.F.B.B. National Chairman of the Professional Physique Judges Committee (Acapulco, Mexico)
- 1988 Entered into Pioneers of Fitness Hall of Fame
- 1992 Entered into Gold’s Gym Hall of Fame
- 1994 Guest of Honor of the Association of Old Time Barbell & Strongmen 12th Annual Reunion
- 1994 Entered into The Joe Weider Hall of Fame
- 1995 A.A.U. Lifetime Achievement Award
- 1995 Oscar Heidenstam Foundation Hall of Fame
- 1996 American Powerlifters Federation Hall of Fame
- 1997 International Chiropractors Association Sports & Fitness Man of the Year
- 1999 I.F.B.B. Hall of Fame Inductee
- 2000 Spirit of Muscle Beach Award
- 2001 World Gym Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2001 Society of Weight-Training Injury Specialists Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2002 Canadian Fitness Award for 60+ Years of Inspiration to the Industry
- 2002 National Fitness Trade Journal Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2003 Iron Man magazine Peary & Mabel Radar Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2004 Arnold Schwarzenegger Lifetime Achievement Award
To submit questions to Bill Kociaba, drop him a note at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit his site at kociaba-fitness.com. Or, feel free to leave your comment below. You may also use your iBlink Radio app to leave an iReport.